Human Resource Management
- The PPM management team runs the operations from site in the Pilanesberg.
- Executive, financial and legal support is provided from a small office in Centurion, Pretoria.
- Mining contractors are employed in the open pit (s).
- The concentrator and all technical support functions are employed by PPM. Many of these are unionised.
- The Moruleng district where PPM operates, some 80km from Rustenburg, is a rural area with limited economic development opportunities. Thus PPM’s role as a direct and indirect employer is of particular value, especially to the eight 'door step' villages closest to the operation.
Geographical source of employees
|North West Province
- Active local selection, training and development of employees based on the head count and skills mix requirements of the life of mine and five-year plans are practised.
- Adult basic education and training (AET) in English literacy and numeracy is the starting point for employees and members of the community. Since 2009, 1,200 people have registered for AET and 950 have written examinations. The pass rate was 82%.
- In parallel with and subsequent to AET, the company sponsors apprenticeships, learnerships, internships and bursaries for tertiary education.