Black Economic Empowerment (BEE)
- 26% equity ownership of a mining business by BEE partners is required by the Mining Charter.
- The Bakgatla Ba-Kgafela (BBK) community, SPM’s BEE partner, owns 30.55% of the company’s 3,095,401,663 shares, net of the Industrial Development Corporation (IDC) holding.
- The IDC, government's investment arm, owns 487,397,167 shares. Parastatal investments are disallowed for BEE purposes.
- The BBK community, the original holders of the mineral rights of SPM’s areas of interest on the Western Limb of the BC, comprises 350,000 persons residing in 32 villages in the Pilanesberg region.
- The BBK representative (BBKTA) is the democratically-elected representative of this community.
- Two members of the BBKTA are directors of SPM.